How great is it to be back!! The final Term of 2014 is going to be just as ‘jammed packed’ as the rest of the year…….and we love it!!
Let’s start Term 4 by looking back to the final week of Term 3……..in the midst of a wonderful and bright ‘Footy Day Parade’ and extremely talented ‘Star Search’ final……..our Senior Students shared their incredible learning in their EXHIBITION!
The comments from parents, students and teachers from neighbouring schools were overwhelmingly positive and such a credit to our students (and their wonderful teachers!)
Not only were our students able to articulate their learning and understanding of their inquiries, they were also able to take us through their learning journey by articulating the process of learning AND the action they wanted to take as a result! Very impressive indeed! J
Looking forward to this term………it started with a ‘bang’ on Monday (Not for students but definitely for staff!)
We were at a Professional Learning Day held at Mornington Primary School. There were over 110 staff from Mornington PS, Benton Junior College and Kunyung PS (All Local PYP Schools) and the focus of the day was ‘Visible Learning’- an important part of personalised learning and inquiry!
Here are some of my thoughts on the day
- We have been working on developing a ‘Visible Learning Culture’ @ Kunyung for a couple of years and I think the day was affirmation of our choice of direction and of a lot of our current teaching practice.
- The day also gave us things to really think about moving forward………..lots of questions for sure! The Professional conversations throughout the day were invaluable and have continued back at school! So much so we have dedicated next week’s staff meeting to further discussions about Visible Learning! (Please contact me if you would like to know more!)
- There are many things that were discussed on the day that I think will shape our thinking during collaborative planning each week and also in classroom practice.
- One thing I did think that we need to work towards is the development of a ‘Learning Process @ Kunyung’ …………………stay tuned! J
- We have the ‘What to teach/learn’ in the form of continuums in the classroom, the attributes required to be a good Learner (What does a good learner look like), the attitudes and the skills BUT it’s time to be able to articulate the ‘How we are learning’ component!
Ultimately the main outcome of the day was to inspire our thinking back in the classroom……..how can we continue to support our students to understand what a ‘good learner’ says, makes and does! A really productive day! J
The first Units of Inquiry for this term are listed below! Please contact your child’s class teacher or myself if you would like to get involved! J
PREPS: Living things share resources in order to survive and grow (Sharing the planet)
JUNIORS: All living things are connected (Sharing the planet)
MIDDLES: Living things depend on each other and the environment to survive (Sharing the planet)
SENIORS: Children worldwide face a variety of challenges and risks (Who we are)