Learning New Things! :)

imgresGood Day All! 🙂

Just a little reflection I wanted to share!

We are always encouraging our students to be risk takers with their learning, try something new and always look for better, more efficient ways of doing things; be curious by asking questions and thinking deeply about problems to find solutions we say! 🙂

It amazes me that, as adults, we do these things without thinking. We are ‘unconsciously skilled’ at using these learning attributes and finding solutions. I believe that I am able to demonstrate these things calmly (mostly!) and without much fuss!!

ENTER THE NEW COMPUTER INTO MY LIFE…………

Moving from a Lenovo notebook to a Mac has taken me back to being a true learner!! I am hamstrung when trying to complete basic computer tasks, I am learning a new language- things look the same but work differently, what would normally take 2 minutes takes 10, moving all of my information from one computer to the other (using an external hard drive I might add????!!!!) is proving so ‘beyond my understanding’ that it still isn’t done…..I feel like a member of the CSI MIAMI Team as I move between multiple computers to complete tasks!! I have been given really valuable and explicit, east to understand instructions on how to do this BUT it is just not computing…….

Basically.……everything that is familiar to me has become unfamiliar in a micro second!!

So…….what am I going to do? Sit back, as I have for the past 4 days, and pretend the problem doesn’t exist OR use the attributes and attitudes we encourage our students to use on a daily basis!!

The latter I say!

Tomorrow I shall:

* Find an expert in Macs and ask lots of questions…LOOK OUT those peeps!

* Find someone who has already transferred their data for more information on the process they used and to seek clarification

* Spend time ‘playing around with possibilities’ as I am doing now by using the Mac to write this post!
* Make a list of what I need to purchase and find to do the task
* STOP looking for the easy way and waiting for someone to tell me or show me how to- move pictures around on an email, change from one screen to another, move around the ‘dock’, add photos……I am going to have a go and google some solutions OR create a ‘study group’ of people in the same situation to support each other!
Finally.…….I’m going to embrace the change and find all of the positives in this situation (Macs are ACE BTW!)
Now I understand that this is not a life threatening situation BUT it just shows that we ask our students to develop and demonstrate these attributes and attitudes in their learning on a daily basis but how are we modelling this to our students…..the minute we become ‘consciously unskilled’ do we just give up???? I’m afraid I have over the last couple of days…….tomorrow is a new day though!
Have a lovely day! 🙂